Academy MemberMap & Directions
- Practice Commenced: 2000
- Total Mediations (as of Dec 2020): 1200
- Total Arbitrations (as of Dec 2020): 5
- GREENSBORO-WINSTON SALEM
- MYRTLE BEACH
- NEW BERN
- ROCKY MOUNT/ROANOKE RAPIDS AREA
Ken Carlson is a certified mediator who has practiced labor & employment law exclusively since 1993. The majority of his practice now involves serving as a mediator or arbitrator, primarily focusing on various areas of employment law such as discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, breach of employment contract, FLSA/wage & hour, ERISA/benefits, and trade secret/covenant not to compete issues. As a certified mediator, Ken mediates cases in both federal and state courts throughout North Carolina, and in other states upon request.
Ken is a frequent speaker at continuing legal education seminars, and has written numerous articles and CLE materials on such diverse matters as mediating in a manner to help avoid impasse, “best practices” for a successful mediation, legal ethics in mediation, and the pros and cons of employment law arbitration. In addition to his mediation and legal practice, Ken is an adjunct professor at the Wake Forest University School of Law where he teaches courses in negotiation and trade secrets/unfair competition.
- ADA Disability
- Civil Rights
- Contract Disputes
- Intellectual Property
- Libel & Slander
- Sexual Harassment
- Unfair Competition
- Wage & Hour/FMLA
- Wake Forest University School of Law - J.D., 1990
- Yale Divinity School - Master of Divinity, 1981
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - B.A., English, 1976
Memberships & Affiliations
- Adjunct Professor, Wake Forest University School of Law
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Winston-Salem Society for Human Resources Management and Board Member
- Former Past Chair and Council Member, Dispute Resolution Section of the NC Bar Association
- Past Editor, NC Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section Newsletter and Labor & Employment Section Newsletter
Mediations - $345/hour, including a one-hour administrative fee, plus expenses such as mileage and other travel-related costs (except meals). I only charge for one-way travel time. Hotel expenses are charged for any mediation conducted over three hours travel time from Winston-Salem in which an overnight stay is involved. Any significant preparation time (beyond reviewing any pleadings and/or a typical mediation statement or other reasonable amount of material) is also billed to the submitting party at the same rate.
Arbitrations - $410/hour, plus expenses such as mileage and other travel-related costs. Hotel expenses, and meals up to a $50 per diem, are charged for any arbitration conducted over three hours travel time from Winston-Salem in which an overnight stay is involved. I only charge for one-way travel time. All pre-hearing and related preparation time is also billed at the same rate.