Academy Member Inducted 2023
Regularly travels out of state to: Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, VirginiaOther ADR Services: Early Neutral Evaluation, Med-Arb
- Practice Commenced2005
- # of MEDS (as of 2/12/23)200
- # of ARBS (as of 2/12/23)50
Online / In-Person
- GREENSBORO-WINSTON SALEM
- MYRTLE BEACH
- NEW BERN
- ROCKY MOUNT/ROANOKE RAPIDS AREA
- VIRGINIA BEACH-NORFOLK
As the former Chair of both the State and National Construction Bars and of Nexsen Pruet’s Construction Law Practice Group, Harper has the knowledge and background clients need to take on virtually any construction industry issue – from contract negotiation to project claims. He has a long list of representative matters to back it up, with experience counseling clients in a number of sectors across a wide range of concerns.
Harper’s legal abilities and knowledge of industry issues have earned him a number of notable recognitions throughout the years. In 2015, Harper was elected as chair of the American Bar Association (ABA) Forum on Construction Law, the largest group of construction lawyers in the world. Harper is one of only three North Carolina lawyers inducted into the American College of Construction Lawyers and one of only five to receive a Band 1 ranking in Construction law from Chambers USA. In 2016, he was inducted into the Legal Elite "Hall of Fame" as the state's category winner for construction law. He was named Greensboro's 2013 and 2018 Lawyer of the Year for Construction Litigation and Greensboro's 2017 Lawyer of the Year for Construction Law by Best Lawyers in America. He is also a past Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association's Construction Law Section and the Contract Documents Division of the ABA's Forum on Construction Law.
Harper has been listed in Best Lawyers in America for Construction Law since 2008, North Carolina Super Lawyers in Construction Law since 2006, Business North Carolina’s Legal Elite since 2005, and The International Who's Who of Construction Lawyers since 2013.
- Contract Disputes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Unfair Competition
- Wrongful Death
- University of North Carolina, J.D., 1991, with honors
- University of North Carolina, B.A.,1988
Memberships & Affiliations
- Fellow, American College of Construction Lawyers
- University of North Carolina School of Law - Adjunct Professor of Construction Law (2004 - Present)
- American Arbitration Association - Arbitration: Large and Complex Construction Panel
- NCDRC Certified Superior Court Mediator
- North Carolina Bar Association - Construction Law Section (Past Section Chair, Lien Law Rewrite Committee,Co-Chair Specialization Committee)
- American Bar Association (ABA) Forum on Construction Law (Chair; Governing Committee; Contract Documents Division Chair; Publications Committee Chair)
Please call for details.